Wednesday 19 December 2012

At last, first



So the last will be first, and the first will be last.                           Matt. 20.16


The parable of the workers in the vineyard, with the eleventh hour employees receiving the same pay as those who had worked all day, could be viewed through fully human eyes as grossly unfair. It might just prompt indignant, if not angry, reaction.

But this is not God’s way. The parable is illustrative, as Matthew clearly records, of the kingdom of heaven. It is God’s heartfelt desire that none shall perish (2 Peter 3.9). God has no favourites – all are favoured equally by Him. This really is the most wonderful news. I can only rejoice in my spirit over this. For it gives me renewed hope for those (family, friends, acquaintances and strangers) who do not yet walk with God. The walk is not over. Even at the eleventh hour they might receive the full reward.







Lord God,

I thank You for Your exceedingly loving heart. I thank You for Your boundless saving grace. I thank You for eleventh-hour miracles.

I pray for those who do not receive You or acknowledge You as Lord. I cry out, Lord, that You might draw them to You. There are certain individuals that I’m thinking about right now and my prayer is that You will touch them and give them the grace to accept Your invitation. But I pray also for those I don’t know. Lord, I – like You – don’t want anyone to miss out on the wonderful gift of salvation through Jesus Christ. I ask You to act, to move upon people with Holy Spirit conviction. I also ask You to move on me and give me a greater concern for the lost and a heart to witness to them and cry out to You in their behalf.

Lord, may Your heavenly paymaster not shut shop, but be ready, at all times, to reward all those You draw to You. I pray this in Jesus’ Name.                                                        Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment