Friday 28 December 2012

Every effort



So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this (a new heaven and a new earth), make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him.      
2 Peter 3.14
                               
                                                                                                                                 

In his first letter (1.19) Peter describes Christ as without blemish or defect. Here he is exhorting believers to follow their Master. I do not believe we will attain this state of spotlessness and blamelessness on our own and, indeed, I don’t see Peter asking for this. He asks us simply to make every effort.

As we apply ourselves, we can seek God’s assistance. And, growing more like Him, we will grow also in peace with Him. We have peace with God by being justified by faith, but this peace can be upset when we fail to live as God desires.

Correction comes in turning to Him. We face fully the way that God wants us to go. We make every effort to please Him, and we seek His help in all our being and doing. The peace of God will follow. Thank God for His goodness and mercy.







Lord God,

I commit to make every effort I can to be found spotless and blameless. But I ask Your help in this. I pray that You will lead me through this day. Let me be who You want me to be. Let me do only those things that You would have me do.

I thank You for the peace I have in You. Peace is a hallmark of Your presence with me. I rejoice in my life with You. Circumstances do not dictate the way I live. My living is in Your hands.

I praise You for the wonderful love you have for me. Lead me forward, Lord. Let us do what You want to do, in Jesus’ Name I ask.                                                                 Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment