Wednesday 31 October 2012

Assurance



Then Gideon said to God, “Do not be angry with me. Let me make just one more request. Allow me one more test with the fleece. This time make the fleece dry and the ground covered with dew.”                                       Judges 6.39


Gideon asks for another sign. He has already placed the fleece, asking God to cover the fleece with dew and to keep the ground dry. This is precisely what happened. God answered Gideon’s request and assured him that he was truly hearing from God.

Now Gideon’s asking for another sign. What’s with this man? He’s certainly showing us that he’s far from the mighty warrior that the angel of the Lord called him. One gets the early impression that Gideon in something of a wimp. He certainly doesn’t show up differently with his ongoing doubts and fears. These verses tell us much about Gideon.

But, as I reflect on them, they also tell me a great deal about God. Some may be tempted to see Gideon’s actions here as testing God. I do not see this. What I do see is a weak and insecure man being commissioned by God for a mighty task, and being so afraid that he seeks God’s affirmation – twice!

I also see the patience and love of God as He complies with Gideon’s requests, and brings to him the assurances he so desperately seeks. God knew Gideon so well. He knew the man’s reactions to His request could well have placed him in a state of anxiety, even panic. He knew Gideon would need full and positive assurances that God was indeed calling him to something that he felt was way beyond him, and which truly frightened him. God knew Gideon, and He patiently and lovingly worked with him to give him the assurances he needed.

I then look beyond Gideon and I see myself, standing slightly to the side and wondering what it might be that God will require of me. Having reflected on Gideon’s experience, I can rest in the knowledge that God also knows me, even better than I know myself. He knows me and He knows what I might need in the way of assurance or affirmation. The same love, grace, mercy and patience that God has shown to Gideon, and countless others, is there for me. His attitude toward me is tender, caring and loving. If I need assurance from God I can ask for it, many times over if necessary. For God knows me, and He loves me too much to deny me the responses I need from Him. He led Gideon on to great things. I wonder what He’ll do with me!





O most loving God,

I thank You for this revelation of love. Gideon was so unsure that he asked You – twice. I am allowed to be unsure, and I can ask You for assurance, confirmation or direction as many times as needed until I am sure that I have clearly heard You. I thank You for this. I love You.
                                                                                                                                           Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment