Sunday 21 October 2012

The Lord’s Anointed



But David said to Abishai, “Don’t destroy him! Who can lay a hand on the LORD’s anointed and be guiltless?”                                1 Sam. 26.9


David, with Abishai, had infiltrated Saul’s camp. He was in a position to do whatever he chose to Saul, and he chose to do nothing whatsoever to harm him.

Saul was hounding David. He was jealous of him and had nothing but evil thoughts in his heart towards him. David had several opportunities to damage Saul, even to kill him. Previously, in the desert of En Gedi, David has ample chance to slay Saul. Instead he cut off a corner of his robe, and afterwards even felt badly about doing that.

On both these occasions we read that Saul was delivered into David’s hands by the Lord
 (1 Sam. 24.4; 26.8, 23). Yet, despite these apparently God-given opportunities, David stood firm. He was true to his resolve not to harm the Lord’s anointed. Was God testing David in these times? I don’t know. But I do know that David held the firmest conviction that Saul was anointed king by God Almighty and, as such, no man had any right to take action against Saul. David suffered great persecution and heartache. Yet, despite the clear opportunities to take action against his oppressor, he was true to his strong conviction in God.

I wonder how I might fare in a similar situation. Would I stand strong? Or would I buckle, give in, and even thank God for helping me?

What a wonderful example David is! I’m almost glad (well at least relieved) that he misbehaved with Bathsheba. It shows his weakness and his humanity. Against the strength of all that he endured from Saul, he presents as a man who, nonetheless, goes off the rails. Yet for all this, we know him by repute as a man after God’s own heart. There is hope for each and every one of us.






Lord God,

I sincerely thank You for the example there is for me in David. I applaud his resolve not to harm the Lord’s anointed. Even when it seems You gave him opportunity to avenge himself on Saul, he would not.

For my part, I ask for wisdom to know those absolute truths in You and to abide in them at all times and never, ever, give in to any feelings to extract justice and reparation – even when the opportunity to do so appears to be God-given – where such action would be against precepts of truly Godly living.

I know You will give me the strength to bear up even under the seemingly unbearable.

I thank You also for the reminder of David’s weaknesses. Dear Lord, I do not rejoice that this great man failed at times, but I thank You that his greatness enabled him to come before You in abject penitence and contrite confession when he had realised how his actions had been so dishonouring of You and of his relationship with You.

I know I stray. I do the wrong thing, I think the wrong thought, or I speak the wrong word. I don’t want to be like this. Precious Lord, I would delight to delight You, always abiding in You and living fully in Your will. But I am a sinner. Help me, Father. I cannot stop myself sinning, but I can ask You to lead me in paths of righteousness. I ask You to strengthen me. As I seek to focus on what is right and righteous, I pray that the temptation of others’ ways will wane, and lose influence and power over me.

I want to walk with You, every step of the way. Today, I give myself to You afresh. May I be Your man? Would You share Your heart with me and lead me into being a man after Your own heart?

I surrender. I give up and come to You. How wonderful this is. Lord God, I sit in Your presence. I exult in You. Hold me close. Lead me only in Your way, in Jesus’ name I ask.
                                                                                                                                    Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment