Sunday 14 October 2012

A Jonathan



And Saul’s son Jonathan went to David at Horesh and helped him find strength in God.
                                                                                                   1 Sam. 23.16
 

This verse attracts my attention. Was David struggling to find strength? Was he faltering in his own efforts to seek God?

God is the answer, the only answer. I may know this and acknowledge it always. I can press in to God and receive the strength I need. But there may be times when I feel myself unable to do this. At such times, what a joy it would be to have a soul-mate, a true Christian friend who will comes alongside and help me to find the strength I need in God.

There is, of course, a converse. There will be times when I shall be privileged to come alongside others and help them to find the strength that they need in God.

Either way, it is the most delightful and inspiring privilege.





Lord God,

The way is so simple: your will be done in me. Let me live in the strength that You provide. Simple, but not easy to realise.

There are times when I come to You, easily and readily. There are times, however, when I might not find it so easy. At these times, I pray for a Jonathan. I ask You, precious Saviour, to provide a help-mate at those times when I need assistance to come to You for strength.

I ask also that You would use me, freely and extensively, to be there for others. Let me not miss Your prompting. But I ask You for wisdom. I do not want to intrude where it is inappropriate to do so. Neither do I want to hold back when You would have me move.

Dear Lord, again I come back to You. I heed You word to lean on You and learn of You. I believe I am willing. Take me, show me, use me, in Jesus’ name I ask.               Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment