Wednesday 10 October 2012

Strength found



...But  David found strength in the Lord his God.               1 Sam. 30.6


I can imagine that David was feeling quite disconsolate at this time. The Philistine rulers had convinced their leader Achish to not allow David to fight with them against the Israelites.

On returning to Ziklag, most likely in dispirited mood, David was to find that the Amalekites had attacked and destroyed the place, taking captive all who were there. When David’s men saw this, their anger turned on him. In their great distress they talked of stoning him.

In all, this would not have been a good time for David.

What was he to do? Where could he turn? Irrespective of what he might have been feeling at the time, I believe David knew where his help lay. He knew exactly what to do and where to turn:
           
                        My soul finds rest in God alone;
                        my salvation comes from him.
                        He alone is my rock and my salvation;
                        he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.
                                                                                    Psalm 62.1,2

David knew that he would only get the strength he needed from the Lord God. The mighty, the all-mighty God to whom nothing was impossible was David’s Lord, his master and his friend.

This tells me all I need to know to live in confidence and security in my Lord and maker, my God, my comfort and provider.





Lord God,

I exalt Your holy name today. I receive this reminder from David’s story that I will find all the strength I need, in You.

I ask for Your strength today. I lay the day before You and submit myself to You.

Strengthen me, in You. Lead me on. Have Your way in me, in Jesus’ name I ask.     Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment