Wednesday 24 July 2019

The Tongue

Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark.      Jas.3.5


The tongue is both a weapon and a tool. It can be used injudiciously to attack and maim or it can be applied, with godly wisdom, to encourage, to build up and edify.

Man cannot effectively control the tongue. Indeed, James says, no man can tame the tongue.Yet, with God, all things are possible. I think it’s only through God, in God, that I will use my tongue positively and appropriately.

How can I do this? One way is to seek wisdom in speech. James opens the way most clearly for the attaining of wisdom. He says: If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. (1.5)

He also tells us what we might expect: But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure, then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. (3.17)

If my tongue is to set a great forest on fire, I want it to be a fire of love and encouragement, of affirmation and hope. The way of wisdom seems a good way. If I can hope for purity, a peace-love, consideration, submission and sincerity, what a wonderful way I shall be travelling.




Lord God,
I submit myself wholly to You. I offer tongue and speech to You. I ask for heavenly wisdom. I pray for Your guidance and overshadowing in all that I think, speak and do. 
Lead me, Dear Father. Let me be Your mouthpiece. May my mouth be a tool for good in all people’s lives. May it be a weapon of victory in the fight against all forces of evil. Order my voice and speech, Lord, in Jesus’ name I ask.      Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment