Tuesday 9 July 2019

Faith

And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.                                                                 Heb.11.6



Faith is fundamental. Faith is non-negotiable. This verse is clear. To please God it is necessary to have faith.

The writer further identifies two requirements of faith. Firstly, the person coming to God must believe that He exists. God is the object of faith. He is real, but He cannot be seen. There could be situations where His presence might be doubted. Anyone coming to Him must seek Him earnestly.

But then the writer mentions a further aspect of faith. As well as believing that God exists, the seeker must know that God will reward him. 

A point that is traditionally made in respect to this chapter is that those mentioned did not, in general, live to see the complete fulfilment of God’s promises to them. This, we are told, is where their faith is called for. Yet it seems to me that they most certainly saw the promise begin to unfold. Abraham experienced the miracle of Isaac’s birth. Jacob saw the twelve tribes of Israel in embryo. Moses saw the Israelites on the threshold of the Promised Land. They knew that God would reward them and they began to see the unfolding of that reward.



Lord God,
I thank You for the faith I have, for I know it comes from You. I know You exist and I believe – gloriously – in You. Hallelujah!
I come to You earnestly seeking more of You. The reward of knowing You is exquisite. I press in. I persist.
I lay today before You asking You to lead me. Let Your full and perfect will be done. I pray for Your touch, Your revelation and Your enabling.
May I know You and share You today. I go forward, with You.
Hallelujah!           Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment