Sunday 28 July 2019

Bursting forth

Shout for joy, O heavens; 
rejoice, O earth;
burst into song, O mountains! 
For the LORD comforts his people
 and will have compassion on his afflicted ones.      Isa.49.13


I am reminded of my first Camino walk in Spain (2011), and a day when I was walking the Meseta. Many people avoid the Meseta. It has something of a reputation for being an uninviting, rigorous and soul-destroying place. It has a high altitude and the weather can be atrocious.

People circumvent the Meseta by arranging alternate transport. I decided I would not be put off, so I took the route that crossed the Meseta. For the time I was up in this lofty terrain I experienced the most wonderful weather. It was sunny and fine, with clear air and an occasional light breeze. Around me was lush grassland and healthy crops. The altitude made me feel as if I was truly on top of the world. Because of its well-publicised notoriety, not many people were walking at the time Indeed, for much of the walk I was alone. Alone, that is, with the wonders of nature all around me, with much evidence of the Creator and the strongest sense of His presence with me.

At one point, high up in this glorious country, I burst into spontaneous worship. Out of my lips – and with real gusto – came: Then sings my soul, my Saviour God to thee…I don’t believe there were any others about to hear my outburst of loud adulation, but even if there had been, it would have made no difference to me.

This was, perhaps, the clearest, but not the only time, when I have suddenly burst forth in praise or worship to God. It connects me closely to Him, and I truly believe that He welcomes it, and enjoys me with it.


Most Glorious Lord,
I adore You. I praise and worship You with all of my being. I receive Your comfort and Your compassion, but most of all I receive You.
I pray for our ongoing relationship. May You draw me closer and take me deeper into intimacy and love.
Allow me, and lead me to share Your love. Thank You.             Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment