Tuesday 23 July 2019

Merciful

Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment.     Jas.2.12,13


James is speaking to Christians about the judgment to come over their actions for Christ. God has set the example. Our merciful God sent His Son to die for us when we were in the very mire of sin. This is seen clearly in the historic setting of the passion among God’s chosen nation. 

It is also seen in the testimony of so many who have come to Jesus since then. We were unworthy. We are unworthy. We will always be unworthy. But God is merciful. In His mercy He reaches down to us and breaks through our unworthiness. He could judge us as unworthy and do nothing to save us. Instead, He shows His great mercy in cleansing, release and return to Him in love.

This is how He wants us to act with one another. He wants us to be merciful, not judgmental. If I am merciful, God will be merciful on the Day of Judgment.



Lord God,
Again I thank You for Your word to me. I want to be merciful, Lord. And this is not in order to gain merit points on Judgment Day, but it is because I want to be as much like You as possible.
James continues in his letter to talk about our actions verifying our faith.
Dear Lord, I want to live out my faith. I want my actions to speak of the love I have for You and for my fellow beings. Help me, please. If I should mis-read a situation, I ask You to correct me. I ask You to lead me clearly into those places where You would have me act. I ask for enabling from You and a confidence in You knowing that, together, we can do all that needs to be done.
Walk with me, Lord. In Jesus’ name I ask.            Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment