Sunday 21 July 2019

Eyes fixed

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.                Heb. 12.2


Fixing your eyes on something or someone can mean different things. It can mean following a person in everything they do, not missing a thing. This done with a focused mind will result in learning and absorbing much about the person.

As a runner fixes his eyes on the finish line he brings his whole concentration to bear on crossing that line, and crossing it before anyone else. Fixing my eyes on Jesus in this way will lead me to follow Him, to be like Him, and to do with my life what He would have me do.

Also, fixing my eyes upon Him connotes a measure of admiration and adoration. As I look intently upon Him I see the love and grace and mercy and sweet emotion of God emanating forth in powerful measure. Jesus overwhelms me with the love of God.

Quite apart from other benefits, as I fix my eyes on Jesus I take in so much about Him. I follow Him in adopting His ways and His wishes for me. And I saturate myself in the Father’s love. Jesus did what He did for the joy set before him. As I fix my eyes on Him, I see something of that joy, and I share it.



Lord Jesus,
Today, right now, I fix my eyes upon You. I come in wide-eyed wonder to gaze upon You, to learn of You and to receive from You. Lead me forward into this day. I pray that I will see You throughout the whole day. I ask for revelation and awareness of Your presence with me through the minutes and the hours.
I fix my eyes on You. I pray that I will see You – everywhere.
         Hallelujah! Praise You, Lord.            Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment