Monday 24 June 2019

The way of love

Therefore, although in Christ I could be bold and order you to do what you ought to do, yet I appeal to you on the basis of love.   Philemon 8.9a



Paul sees his authority in Christ enabling him to “order” Philemon to certain actions. But he chooses not to exert his authority. Instead he makes an appeal of love to Philemon. As I read the rest of this short letter it seems to me that Paul’s appeal has quite a measure of persuasion.

Albeit, I see Christ in this appeal. And isn’t this the way of Jesus? God (Christ) is all-powerful. God can command, order, decree, enact. Instead He chooses the way of love. He appeals, He woos us. His rescue of us is mounted in love. His rescue gives the world the greatest demonstration of love that has ever been seen, or ever will be.

Paul demonstrates his commitment to Christ as a disciple in his choosing to appeal to Philemon on the basis of love and not by ordering him through ecclesiastical authority.



Lord God,
I thank You for the sweet and simple lesson and illustration that comes from this Scripture. Paul is adopting the way of Jesus. This is wonderful. I pray for the present earthly leaders of Your people. I pray that they also will minister and lead out of love and not out of ordained or assumed authority.
Our Lord walked this earth as a servant. Let His people do likewise. Show us the way, Lord. Show us also any distinction between servant and slave. I wish to serve my fellow beings, but I don’t think this means enslaving myself to all and sundry.
Again, Lord, I seek Your way. Show me Your way, and lead me in it. May I, like Paul, witness for Jesus on the basis of love and not through ordering and control.
Take me forward into this day. Have Your way, in Jesus’ name I ask. Amen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment