Thursday 6 June 2019

Sanctification

It is God’s will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality; … For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life.                                                                           1 Thess. 4.3,7


The basic intention of holiness is being “set apart” for God. Sanctification is a process. God sanctifies us as He leads us forward in cleansing, in freeing us from bonds and bondages of unhealthy living, and in fitting us and filling us with His presence in holiness and righteousness.

While sanctification comes from God, I believe I have a part to play. Paul clearly places the action on me to avoid sexual immorality. I can define “avoid” in various ways: to shun or stay clear of, to keep from happening. These are very active interpretations; they require something positive from me. As I apply myself to the avoidance of all that is impure or ungodly, God can lead me forward in the process of sanctification.



Lord God,
Whilst sanctification may be a sovereign work of Yours, I believe I have a choice regarding the degree to which I offer myself to You.
I can choose to avoid those things (and sexual immorality seems to me to be just one of them) that lead to impurity. I can keep clear of such things and release myself to You.
I commit to do this. My earnest desire is to walk closely with You, to enjoy the deepest intimacy of relationship.
I ask also for Your help. Please strengthen me to shun those things I need to shun and ignore. Show me Your ways and lead me in them. I am desperate for You. Help me to find You in the fullest measure, in Jesus’ name I ask.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment