Sunday 16 June 2019

More

With this in mind, we constantly pray for you, that our God may count you worthy of his calling, and that by his power he may fulfil every good purpose of yours and every act prompted by your faith.                      2 Thess. 1.11


Paul has been talking about the coming of Christ in glory and His punishment of unbelievers. Against this he prays constantly for believers, and his prayer is essentially that God will honour and complete His work in them.

God calls the believer; He draws the unbeliever to Jesus. God endows the gift of faith. God initiates every good purpose. He controls every act prompted by faith. Paul’s prayer is simply that God will bring all to fulfilment.

Where does this leave me? If the initiative and fulfilment lies with God, what is there for me to do? I believe there are two positive actions I can take. The first is to show God my willingness to be led by Him and used for the fulfilment of whatever He desires of me. The second task is to request God’s action. I realise the timing is His, and I would not wish to move out of His timing, but I feel that I would not be doing what I am able to do if I take these steps myself. All is with God.



Lord God,
I love You. I receive the good news of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and I endeavour to live by it. My desire is to walk closely with You, to live in intimate relationship with You, and to lead others into such relationship.
There are times when I feel impatient to be doing more for You. I repent of my impatience and I lay it before You. I realise the timing is Yours. I simply want to tell You again of my desires, my desire for deepening relationship with You and my desire to work with and for You, leading others into their own knowing of, and relating with, You.
This is it Lord. I want to know You more and I want to share freely. I give these desires to You and ask that You do in me and with me what You want, in Jesus’ name.                  Amen. 
         


No comments:

Post a Comment