Friday 11 January 2019

Understanding

Psalm 119


When I read through psalm 119 I connect with the words of Paul:
“I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.”                (Rom. 7.15)


This is how I feel as I read psalm 119 – what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. Paul says he does not understand what he does. I think I do understand what I do. I give in to the flesh. I live in the worldly me and not in God’s ways and ultimately His will.

As I read psalm 119 I determine not to be put off by the seeming sanctity of the psalmist. This person appears to have achieved so much of what I desire to reach but, as yet, is still beyond me.

But, praise God, as I journey further with Him I am gaining insight and confidence that I can come before Him with all my concerns and lay them at His feet. For the key is, as always, who He is and not who I am.

And so, I come now. I will use the words of the psalmist – verbatim where this is appropriate, but modified where I feel the psalmist is already expressing something that I have no yet attained, but which I see.



Lord God,
I thank You again that I can come to You just as I am. I ask for mercy. Have mercy on me Lord for I am a humble sinner. I so want to be different, but know that I cannot change in my own strength.
But You are the great God and all things are possible with You. So I come before You with the words of the psalmist and with my own words and seek Your input and action in my life.
I long for Your Righteousness O Lord, and that Your law is my delight. Let me live that I may praise You. And may your laws sustain me.
I have strayed like a lost sheep. Seek and help Your servant please, for I have not forgotten Your commands.         Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment