Wednesday 23 January 2019

Earth or heaven?

Whom have I in heaven but You? 
And earth has nothing I desire besides you.                 Psalm 73.25


In heaven or on earth, God is everything. The psalmist has talked of the apparent success of the unrighteous, but it is only this – apparent! There is nothing real about their wellbeing for it is without God. Conversely, many of the righteous have endured severe difficulty, indeed persecution, yet peace and blessing have attended them because they have known their righteous God.

Desire, if misdirected, can be a curse. Desire rightly placed in a great and glorious God is a most wonderful thing. With all that earth has to offer, among all the temptations of the carnal life there is nothing, truly, to compare with the delight and wonder of the pursuit of God.



Lord God,
I join with the psalmist in declaring that You are all I need. I am in love with You and there is nothing else I desire.
Certainly I have needs and sometimes wants. I look to You for the satisfaction of these. You are my source and provider. You are my life and my living. You are my everything.
Precious Lord, lead me today. Join with me and guide me through his journey of life. I seek You as my constant companion and my sure guide.
I look to You, Lord, in heaven and on earth. You are everything to me.
Receive me and walk with me,
in Jesus’ name I ask.                Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment