Tuesday 7 August 2018

Trust and confidence

“But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, 
whose confidence is in him. 
He will be like a tree planted by the water 
that sends out its roots by the stream.
It does not fear when heat comes; 
its leaves are always green.
It has no worries in a year of drought
 and never fails to bear fruit.”                                     Jer. 17.7,8


Jeremiah makes rather a bitter complaint against the Lord in 12.1,2. Declaring God’s righteousness, he proceeds to question His justice. He notes how the wicked prosper, the faithless live at ease. He suggests that God has planted them and they have taken root. They thrive and bear much fruit. They speak of God but their hearts are not with Him.

God answers Jeremiah’s complaint by reminding him of what the God-fearing man can expect. He will be blessed as he trusts and places his confidence in the LORD, Jehovah God, the great I AM. The same Hebrew root underlies both the words ‘trust’ and ‘confidence’.

God compares this man to a tree planted (or transplanted) by water. The tree sends its roots out to the stream. This word ‘stream’ comes from a Hebrew root illustrating the source of a righteous man’s strength. This man does not fear the elements, for nothing can deny his ‘life’ and his fruitfulness.




Lord God,
I rejoice in this word. I trust in You. My confidence sits in You and remains in You. My greatest desire is to be planted by You to receive and give out the living water that comes from the throne room of heaven.
I pray that I will know no fear in intense heat, (or cold), nor in drought or flood. I look to You in confidence that my ‘leaves’ will be ever green and I will never fail to bear fruit.
I thank You, Lord, in Jesus’ name.              Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment