Friday 17 August 2018

The right decision

Then the word of the LORD Almighty came to me: “Ask all the people of the land and the priests, ‘When you fasted and mourned in the fifth and seventh months for the past seventy years, was it really for me that you fasted? And when you were eating and drinking, were you not just feasting for yourselves?’ ”           Zech. 7.4-6     
                              

Again the word of the LORD Almighty came to me. This is what the LORD Almighty says: “The fasts of the fourth, fifth, seventh and tenth months will become joyful and glad occasions and happy festivals for Judah. Therefore love truth and peace.” (Zech. 8.18,19)


I have a difficulty with fasting. I struggle to generate a willingness to fast. Certainly I want to seek God. I am “hungry” (what a pun!) to hear from Him. I believe the wonderful things that occurred during my visit to Tasmania some years ago were undergirded by the fast that we undertook beforehand.

So, why do I have difficulty in bringing myself to a fast? Why can’t I approach it positively and with excitement? Is it simply lethargy? Apathy? Am I waiting for some super-spiritual awakening?

I need to make a decision, then follow through, seeking God’s help and guidance as I go. 



Lord God,
My heart cries out to draw closer to You. I yearn to hear You – clearly, deeply and consistently.
I believe fasting for You will facilitate this. I want to fast for You. I look for fasts, my fasts, to be joyful and glad occasions and happy festivals for me with You.
I ask Your help in regular fasting. Please would You give me revelation and direction. I need Your help. I want to please You.                     Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment