Sunday 19 August 2018

Right fruit

Produce fruit in keeping with repentance.                      Matt. 3.8


What powerful words these are. They are given, in the first instance, by John the Baptist as he is baptising people in the River Jordan on confession of their sins.

The words are addressed to the Pharisees and Sadducees who were spectators of his activities. These men were the prominent Jewish leaders of the time, but their leadership left much to be desired. The Pharisees were a legalistic and separatist group. They kept to the laws of Moses in the strictest way, but often with great hypocrisy. They strenuously told the people what to do, but didn’t always do it themselves. The Sadducees were worldly and politically minded. Their theology was unorthodox. Together they were poor examples for the people of God to follow. Their fruit was not good fruit. It was worldly, hypocritical, and egotistical. Love, humility and service were genuinely lacking.

The words that John the Baptist addressed to the “church leaders” of his day apply equally to God’s leaders (and followers) today. We are called to bear appropriate fruit. We are saved by the blood of Jesus and reconciled to Almighty God, our Heavenly Father in loving relationship. We are connected, in love, with righteousness. Our fruit should show the sweetness and richness of this union.




Lord God,
I pray for right fruit in my life. I thank You for this word. I affirm that I am a branch of the vine of Jesus, and I look for the fruit of Jesus in my life.
Loving Lord, I want to know You more, to really know You. And I want my knowing You to spill out into all of my life. Let my life abound in Godly fruit.
I love You, Lord. I praise and thank You for this wonderful day.
I proclaim Your wonder, Your glory, Your power.
Hallelujah! Praise Your name.           Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment