Thursday 2 August 2018

Disconnect

After Jesus had finished instructing his twelve disciples, he went on from there to teach and preach in the towns of Galilee.      Matt. 11.1




Jesus was teaching His disciples, but the instruction came to a close. I don’t think this was the only teaching He was to give them, for He had so much to share with them and instruct them in.

However, this particular teaching came to a close, and Jesus left the place where they were to go off to the towns of Galilee where He taught and preached.

But what happened to the disciples? In the preceding chapter, Matthew records that Jesus sent the twelve out with instructions and authority to drive out evil spirits and to heal every disease and sickness (Matt. 10.1)

And so, we see how Jesus instructed the disciples, and then sent them out to minister. As they did this, He went off to further ministry of His own. The instruction of the disciples was halted at this time. They went off to execute His instructions, while He partook of further ministry.

So it can be for me! Jesus may instruct me. Indeed, I look to Him for His instruction, and I expect to receive it. After having been instructed, I need to be willing to go where Jesus sends me or leads me. There may be more instruction in later days, but if I sense that Jesus is releasing me into a certain time of ministry, then I need to be obedient and go. If I decide the time is not right and further decide to stay, then I am being disobedient to the will of God.

Also, if I remain and give myself to seeking more instruction, not only am I disobeying the Father’s will, I could be in the way of Jesus ministering to others. I would be upsetting God’s balance and getting in the way of His will.

I need to be obedient. This may require alertness of me. Let me commit to working in concert with Him.





Lord God,
I thank You for the insight I believe You have given me today. I pray to be ever alert to Your call, and to willingly give myself to whatever You ask of me, whether it is sitting quietly at Your feet, or responding to Your call to “go forth” in the name of Jesus. Let me hear and discern what Your Word says, and willingly obey.           Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment