Friday 21 October 2016

Which light?

Jesus answered, “Are there not twelve hours of daylight? Those who walk during the day do not stumble, because they see the light of the world.”          John 11.9


Two phrases strike me from this verse, and I see a clear difference between the two. Jesus reminds His disciples that there are twelve hours of daylight. These hours of light are available to all, except the physically blind. Thus many walk “in the light” and they might well live “enlightened” lives, doing good and living to a fine moral and ethical code, but do they live the very best “life in the light” that they can? Others may live in these same hours of daylight and promote all manner of unhealthy, even evil, behaviour while they embrace the same light.

Jesus then refers to those who see “the light of the world”. I see a difference between this and the twelve hours of natural daylight (already presented by me metaphorically as a form of natural “enlightenment”, which people may choose or not.)

Jesus has declared Himself to be the light of the world: “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life.” (John 8.12) For me, walking in the “light of the world” is much different to simply walking in the hours of daylight Walking in Jesus, and with Jesus, I give myself to the extent of my ability to live as He would have me live. I look to do what He wants me to do. And I experience the joy of His company and the intimacy of His relationship with me.





Dear Lord Jesus,

I commit to walk in Your light. I pray for my journey through today and the days ahead. Let me see clearly the light that is You, and may I walk in that light. Alert me when I am tempted to stray into dark areas. Bring me back into the light. And may I know Your sweet presence with me, in Your precious name I ask.            Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment