Sunday 16 October 2016

Follow him

When he has brought out all his own, he goes ahead of them, and the sheep follow him because they know his voice.                       John 10.4


There are three distinct actions contained in these words. First, the shepherd brings his sheep out of the fold. They have been in a place of safety. Within the fold it is secure. But life extends beyond the fold, and the shepherd leads them out into that life.

He then proceeds to go before them. he prepares the way for them. In leading them in such a practical way, He is ensuring their ongoing safety. If there is any danger ahead, He will encounter it first, and He is equipped to deal with it. Thus, their safety is assured.

Finally, the sheep follow their shepherd, and we are given the reason why they so willingly do this. It is because they know His voice. They are familiar with their shepherd. His voice reassures them. There is no threat of danger in it but, rather, it calms and strengthens, it encourages and leads.

Jesus is my shepherd. He prepares the way for me and I willingly follow Him. I know that life will not be trouble free in Him, but I have a confidence in His leading. He protects me, but I need to look to Him for this. It is my choice to follow Him. I know His voice and I look to hear His voice leading me and speaking to me at all times.






Dear Lord Jesus,

I gratefully look to You as my Shepherd. You show me the way, and it is the right way. I pray that I may always be ready to follow the way that You open for me.

I know Your voice, and I thank You for this recognition. May I continue to hear You, to enter into conversation with You and to grow in relationship.

The connection between the shepherd and his sheep was a vital and precious  one. I open myself to that connection between You and me. Speak Lord, I wait on You in sweet expectation.                Amen.   

No comments:

Post a Comment