Saturday 8 October 2016

Day and night

“We must work the works of him who sent me while it is day; night is coming when no one can work.”                                                                                            John 9.4


When I consider the day and night that Jesus mentions here, I think of life on this earth, and then death.

In my spirit I don’t envision death as a dark night but rather as a glorious new day, a rebirth into all that I was created for.

Yet in respect to my present life, death will appear as night for it will close the existence that I have known and become familiar with. Death will also bar me from any further activity in doing the works of Him who sent me. My earthly commission will be concluded by death.

In recent times if I have thought at all about my death, I have become excited. A joy and excitement wells up inside me at the thought that I shall finally see Him face to face. That will be it! I shall look on Him, be received by Him, and enter into the fullness of eternity. Hallelujah!

My inner being gets stirred up in joy and anticipation as I contemplate the glorious release that death will bring. Then – I come back to earth. My excitement is followed by the reality that death will truly bring my earthly life to a close. It will be final – a complete halt. The realisation comes that I will farewell, temporarily I hope, those who are near and dear to me. I also realise that all of my opportunities to work for Him will be exhausted. And this moves me to do all He would have me do while there is still time.





Lord, Mighty God,

I am not afraid of dying. In fact, the prospect fills me with excitement at finally seeing You face to face. But I realise also that death will conclude my work here on earth.


Lord, I want to fulfil all that You would have of me. I give myself afresh to Your will and purposes. May I be and do all that You would of me, in Jesus’ name I ask.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment