Wednesday 26 October 2016

Believing

Jesus said to her, “Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?”                                                                                                                                John 11.40


Faith can lead to manifestations of God’s glory. Jesus’ challenge to Martha applies to us all. Martha was prepared for the expected. Lazarus was dead and had been so for four days. His de-composing body would already have begun to smell strongly, to produce the “stench” that Martha described.

With faith all things are possible. Martha was conditioned for the expected, the normal, the ordinary. Faith can fit me to look for the unexpected, the abnormal or the extra-ordinary.

God can do anything. His Word tells me this. Indeed the written word and Jesus, the living Word, both attest to the sovereignty and supremacy of Almighty God.  

So, what of my faith? In His question to Martha I hear, in my heart, Jesus follow through with another question. He has said, “Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?” I now hear Him say, “Do you then believe? Where is your faith?”

Yes, this is my faith. I need to demonstrate my faith. I also believe faith to be a gift from God. I have faith, but I would like so much more. My heavenly Father can give me this faith and, so, I will ask for it. I cry out, with the boy’s father who said to Jesus, “I believe, help my unbelief!” (Matt. 9.24)





Lord God,

Jesus has challenged me to believe. I do believe, yet I seek to believe even more. I ask You to deepen my faith. Lazarus was raised from the dead. I ask You for a faith to believe for such things and other extra-ordinary, supernatural events. I see this as part of a life lived truly in You. I seek a complete life in You. Hear my prayer and answer me, in Jesus’ name I ask.                         Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment