Tuesday 18 October 2016

Belonging

“… but you do not believe, because you do not belong to my sheep.”        John 10.26


I see in these words the key to identifying with Jesus as a believer and the reason for the resistance and intransigence of non-believers. The believer belongs, but the action, I truly think, is initiated by God. Thus, if God doesn’t deliberately draw the individual, they will be held in disbelief and denial.

Jesus further emphasises the divide between Christians and non-believers with His next words: “My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me.” (v27)

Jesus “knows” His sheep. The Father has drawn them to Him, and He is their way to the Father. When Jesus speaks, His sheep hear Him, and they follow Him. Here we see the wonderful relationship that the Christian enjoys and which is totally unknown, even alien, to the non-Christian.

I rejoice that Jesus knows me. He knows every last detail about me. He knows the good and the not so good. He accepts me. I try to keep myself ever alert to hear His voice. I delight in dialogue with Him. I yearn to share more and more. As He calls, as He leads, I want to follow. I see this not as a following behind but, rather, as a journeying together. He is with me, and the travelling is joyous. I belong. I am His.





Lord Jesus,

I thank You that I belong to Your sheep. I rejoice in hearing Your voice. I ask You to speak to me, to converse with me that we may share many things.

I want to follow You. Please show me Your way, and guide me in that way. Be my companion on the journey. May we enjoy each other as we travel the road in partnership together. I ask these things in Your loving name,           Amen.





My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").

No comments:

Post a Comment