Thursday 6 October 2016

Accept,... and understand

“Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot accept my word.”   John 8.43
                                                                                                                              

I sense in these words that Jesus is implying a reversal of worldly logic. I could make a reasonable assertion that the way of the world would be acceptance following understanding. In other words, “Don’t ask me to accept what I don’t understand.”

As I reflect on Jesus’ words I sense Him encouraging me to first accept His word, to accept all that He says and shares with me irrespective of whether or not I understand.

What am I saying? God wants me to trust Him. He wants me to receive from Him because it is coming from Him. Whatever He says, whatever He shows me, it’s as if He’s saying, “Receive this and accept it for no other reason than because it comes from me.” I want to do this. I like to think that I’m totally open to it.

But there’s more. I’m sensing God say, “And when you accept what I say or show you then I will bring to you all the understanding that I want you to have. This could well amaze and astound you, for I have wonders and miracles to reveal to you. I have secrets to share with you. So be accepting. Take me in trust, and you will come to know the sweetness of intimate relationship with me.”





Holy God,

I love living with You. You amaze me. I have gleaned today a most simple teaching, but one which has revolutionary potential. I don’t think I’m one who questions everything before receiving, nevertheless, I am encouraged by this reflection to receive all that comes from You without first seeking to understand it. I do ask, however, that You confirm for me what is truly of You. May I have that confidence of Spirit to simply know. And knowing, may I accept, and anticipate Your further gifts of revelation and understanding.               Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment