Monday 3 October 2016

Continuing

Then Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, “If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples.”                                                                                              John 8.31


I feel an inner excitement in the concept that I am reminded of in this verse, viz. “continuing in the word.” This is the word of God, the words of Jesus, the words that the Holy Spirit may reveal to me, and the Word – Jesus Himself. Here, Jesus is exhorting me, as a true disciple, to continue in the word.

The following verse gives the consequence of continuing in the word: you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.

These words, and this invitation, are timely for me. I have come through a time when I have been so conscious of the ways of the flesh, and the temptations of the world we live in. I need to set aside worldly things and focus on Him. I need to move deeper into His presence and enjoy the release He brings me from those things that are not pleasing to Him.

Part of the action I can take at this time is to continue in His word. The Renovaré Spiritual Formation Bible (p171) reminds me that steadfast study of His Word will deepen my belief and, as I abide in Scripture, its language will form my life.





Dear Lord Jesus,

I surrender. I am tired of the ways of the world and the cravings of the flesh. I yearn for the fullness of You. I seek a richer life, the life that I can only gain by full devotion to God.

I ask You to speak, clearly and powerfully, to me as I read the word. I open myself to all of Your teaching and leading. Yours is the way I want to go, but I allow myself to stray. Keep me, Lord, to Your way.


At this present moment I ask You to take me and guide my through all the days ahead, to Your praise and glory.               Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment