Friday 29 April 2016

Take courage!

The following night the Lord stood near Paul and said, “Take courage! As you have testified about me in Jerusalem, so you must also testify in Rome.”                                                                                                                                    Acts 23.11


The following night refers to the night after Paul was at the centre of a ruckus in the Sanhedrin where a vicious fight broke out between the Pharisees and the Sadducees following Paul’s declaration: “I stand on trial because of my hope in the resurrection of the dead” (Acts 23.6). We are told that the hostility was so severe that the Roman commander removed Paul from the fray, fearing that he would otherwise be torn to pieces by the opposing factions.

Against this background, God’s words to Paul would surely have been greatly encouraging. But they are more than this. God is also giving Paul a clear direction for the future. I recall reading from later chapters of the book of Acts how Paul held to this undertaking and how the knowledge of it strengthened him in the ongoing journey.

If I could possibly imagine myself in Paul’s position before these words were spoken, I think I would certainly feel doubt and a measure of despair. I might be tempted to question the veracity of my mission, my calling, and even, perhaps, consider giving up on the whole business.

Then God’s words break through in clear affirmation and with a sense of direction – so timely and so very encouraging.

And are there such times in my own life when I need God to break in with reassurance? Most certainly!





Lord God,

I believe You spoke clearly to Paul in his time of need. My faith assures me that You will do likewise for me. I thank You. I know that I am not alone. You are my guide and my leader. You are my strength and my comfort. I trust You. I relax, and I rest in You.

You led Paul, maybe not directly – but positively, to Rome. I give myself to You to lead me to my own “Rome”. Lead on, in Jesus’ name I ask.             Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment