Thursday 14 April 2016

Encounter

Suddenly Jesus met them, “Greetings,” he said. They came to him, clasped his feet and worshipped him.                                                                                                           Matt. 28.9


This would have been a tumultuous experience for the women. They had gone, quite miserably no doubt, to the tomb of their martyred friend. And what an event awaited them there! Matthew talks of a violent earthquake. An angel appeared from heaven, rolled away the stone and declared that Jesus was not there because He had risen from the dead just as he said He would.

Then, as the women left, both afraid and joyful, they encountered the resurrected Christ. Matthew reminds us that this was all suddenly.

And often it is “suddenly” that we meet with Christ. Just like that of the women, our encounter is with the resurrected Christ. We meet the Christ who now reigns in glory, victorious over all things. This is our Saviour. This is the One we submit to as Lord. Whether our encounter is suddenly, or whether it grows through an extended period of time, my hope is that it is lasting. Sadly, I have seen many filled with joy at the almost instant release from bondages and past hurts only, in time, to relapse and move away from God.

Jesus promises eternal life. May we be encouraged to press on to it, and enjoy a lifetime’s fellowship with Him.





Gracious and Loving God,

It is by Your mercy that we come into relationship with You. I thank You that You have drawn me to You. I pray that You will draw me closer and lead me deeper.

I pray also for those who are not with You. I ask for “suddenlies” today in the lives of those who most need release from anxieties, fear, and doubt. They do not know You. They desperately need to know You but are unaware of this. I pray that You would reach out and draw them to You. Touch them with the love of the Father and the reality of the Son’s sacrifice. Draw them to You, in Jesus’ name I ask.                               Amen.





My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip (Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").

No comments:

Post a Comment