Thursday 7 April 2016

Forsaken

About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?” – which means, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”                                                                                                                           Matt. 27.46


These words express the final, the ultimate and likely most devastating act in what I see as the dereliction of Christ. As He hangs on the cross, with body broken and the life fast flowing out from Him, He is faced with the last, and greatest, rejection – that of His loving heavenly Father.

Jesus, the Son, lived for the Father. John tells us how Jesus’ sole mission was to do the Father’s will: “I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me.” (John 6.38) He did what the Father does: “Do not believe me unless I do what my Father does”. (John 10.37) He was consistent in withdrawing to solitary places so as to communicate with His Father. (Luke 5.16; 6.12; Matt. 14.23; Mark 1.35; 6.46)

And now that same loving Father was rejecting Him. This, I believe, would have been the greatest humiliation and defeat for Jesus. He had experienced the harshest physical torture; He had been most cruelly betrayed by a friend and deserted by all the others He had known and loved; but the greatest hardship had now come – rejection by His own Father, His own kind.

And why? because He carried the sins of the whole world in His body – all past, present and future sin. He had chosen to offer Himself, in sacrifice, for all mankind, that none should perish, but every one come to repentance.

And the Righteous Father could not associate with Him in any way! His words, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” are utterly and truly God-forsaken. And they are for me! He did this for me!!





Holy Jesus, Precious Lord,

I can only, humbly say ‘Thank You’. Thank You, my Saviour, for all that You have done for me. Thank You for the sacrifice, but thank You also for the teaching and leading. Guide me into this day, and all days, in Your precious name I ask.                                                                                                                                                      Amen.





My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip (Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").

No comments:

Post a Comment