Tuesday 26 April 2016

Downcast! Why?

Why are you downcast, O my soul?
Why so disturbed within me?
Put you hope in God,
for I will yet praise him,
my Saviour and my God.                                                                       Psalm 43.5


I am generally positive, trusting and living in faith with God. Yet there are those times when I veer slightly off course. I am aware of Jesus’ exhortation to not fear, and of God’s words through Paul to be anxious for nothing. Still there are occasions (much less now that previously) when I find myself worrying over a situation or getting perhaps a little anxious over what may or may not happen.

At such times I need to recall the words of the psalmist here, and ask myself the simple question, “Why?” Why might my soul be downcast? Why would I experience negative disturbance within me? Surely my hope is in God!

I feel myself addressing a further question to the inner me: “Well, is this true? Is your hope in God? Is your hope well and truly founded in our great God, in the One who made you, the One who cares for you with a love and an intensity that is beyond all human understanding? Do you indeed hope in Him, or do you not?”

The answer, of course, is: Yes, yes, I most certainly hope in God. I trust fully in Him and I look for His plans for me to come to fruition. Right now I see the foolishness of worry and anxiety in the face of the love, care, grace and blessing of an incredibly loving Father and the most powerful, awesome God.





Lord God,

I humbly come to You in grateful thanks for Your love and protection, Your leading and guidance, and the wonderful relationship You draw me into.

I am truly blessed. I thank You.                Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment