Saturday 30 January 2016

Things of God

Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men.”                                                                                                                              Matt. 16.23


Abraham argued with God (Gen. 18.16-33) and was not rebuffed. Moses also argued with God, and with a measure of success (Exod. 32.9-14). But Peter had no such favour.

If I read about Peter without reference to the other two, I am likely to conclude that I should never question nor argue with God. Yet when I remember the challenges that Abraham and Moses presented to the Almighty I am led more to consider that I need to discern what I may, or may not, bring to God in question or debate.

I see a clear guide in Jesus’ words to Peter: “You do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men.”                                

When I think, even vaguely, of challenging God, I need to pay particular concern to what my intention is. Abraham was focussed on preserving any righteous persons that might have been in Sodom. This was certainly a Godly aim! Moses was concerned both for the protection of God’s chosen people and also for God’s “reputation”. Again, Godly concerns! Peter, however, seemed to respond in typical feisty but unthinking manner. He could even have been thinking of his own loss at the things Jesus was foretelling.

And herein lies the key – will my challenge be beneficial to God’s work or to human satisfaction? May I have the wisdom to discern!





Holy Lord,

I don’t know that I would have the courage to challenge You on any score. But, if I am ever tempted, may I have the wisdom to distinguish when my motivation is God-warranted as against when it might be human-biased! May I respond more in the mindset of Abraham and Moses rather than as Peter did in this present instance.

I pray for a curb on impetuousness, but a release of true Godly freedom.

I ask these things in Jesus’ name.                   Amen.






My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip (Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").
                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment