Friday 15 January 2016

Breaking bread

When he was at the table with them, he took bread, gave thanks, broke it and began to give it to them. Then their eyes were opened and they recognised him.
                                                                                                              Luke 24.30, 31a


Breaking of bread is a wonderful sign of Jesus. This act of entering into fellowship is our open invitation to join with Him, to be partners with Him and to become part with Him. He invites us in, that He may come in – I in Him and He in me.

The two disciple-travellers recognised Him in the simple act of breaking bread. He had journeyed with them and spoken at length, detailing all the Scriptures that bore out the truth of what had happened in Jerusalem that week-end. They had heard Him. Did they take account of what He had said? I hope so! But they did not recognise Him until He broke the bread. I ponder on how much more exciting their journey might have been if they had recognised Him in the early stages.

I cannot say that I am in the early stages of journey. Indeed, my journey may be well advanced. But I have recognised my Saviour and my Lord, and I rejoice in those special times when I join with Him in the breaking of bread. We come together and, imperfect as I am, He draws me to Him and begins to feed me afresh with the bread of life. He is my sustenance. I sit at table and commune with Him. We join together in the sweetest fellowship.





Lord Jesus,

I’m here, and I know that You are here with me. I open myself to You. You know me, and still You are willing to sit and eat with me. I thank You that You have freed me to be Yours.

May I sit with You now and receive further from You. My relationship with You is the sustenance of my whole life. As You touch me may I receive. As You lead me may I be willing to go.

Come, Lord, break bread with me. I would eat with You. I love You and so want to share with You. Meet with me, receive me, in Your precious name I ask.               Amen.





My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip (Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").

No comments:

Post a Comment