Saturday 9 January 2016

Courage

Going to Pilate, he (Joseph of Arimathea) asked for Jesus’ body.              Luke 23.52


Notes to the NIV Study Bible say this:
The remains of an executed criminal often were left unburied or at best put in a dishonoured place in a pauper’s field. A near relative, such as a mother, might ask for the body, but it was a courageous gesture for Joseph, a member of the Sanhedrin, to ask for Jesus’ body.

On initial reading of these notes, two things impact me. The first is the harsh reminder that Jesus, my precious Saviour and Lord, was truly treated and looked upon as a criminal. I struggle to reconcile myself to this, even though I am fully aware of the historic account. Furthermore, I can readily say that other men did this, but what would I have done had I been present at the time?

The second aspect that impresses me is the courage of Joseph, for I certainly see his asking of Pilate for the body of Jesus as a most courageous act. He was declaring himself and this, maybe, for the very first time to the view of a hostile Sanhedrin. What a brave man! Will I also exhibit such courage should the occasion arise?





Lord Jesus,

My sorrow at the reminder of Your treatment as a common criminal is further agitated by the appalling thought of how I might have viewed You had I been present at the time. I am thankful that this was not the reality. The suggestion, however, lingers and is emphasised by the realisation of Joseph’s courage.

I pray for strength, Holy Spirit strength to enable me to remain faithful to You. I am caught up in this great love that You have for me, and I want to respond equally as strongly as I receive. But my capacity to love comes nowhere near Yours.


May You increase my love. Enlarge my heart. Let me see people, more and more, as you see them. May I respond in ways that honour and please You. Help me in this, in Your precious name I ask.           Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment