Thursday 21 January 2016

Crumbs

“Yes, Lord,” she said, “but even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters’ table.”                                                                                                               Matt. 15.27


The Gentile woman had come to Jesus for healing for her daughter. Jesus’ response was that He had been sent to the “lost sheep of Israel”. Therefore it was not right to give the children’s bread to their dogs.

The woman’s reply is seen by Jesus as a sign of great faith, and He answers her request. I’m intrigued by the words and imagery that the woman uses. The masters are those who are rightfully entitled to eat. Yet even their pet dogs, those considered not worthy to receive for themselves, partake of the “crumbs” of food that fall from the table.

The crumbs are the same substance as the main meal, albeit a lesser portion. What the woman, therefore, seems to be saying is: “I may not be entitled to the full meal, but I can surely taste of the good food from the droppings that fall from the table.”

Her faith won through and she was “fed”. Her recognition of the crumbs was, indeed, for the real thing. Whether we receive crumbs or a full loaf, it is the same bread. She was willing to settle for crumbs, knowing the bread from which they came. She was rewarded with the whole loaf.





Lord God,

I marvel at the woman who was willing to settle for mere crumbs from You. She knew the source of the crumbs. I see today that the crumbs or the whole loaf signify the same bread, and the least amount of that bread will satisfy. The woman knew this, and was willing to accept it.

May I, then, be willing to accept whatever measure is given to me. You know my needs far better than I do. I am not greedy, yet I know that the more I receive, the more I would willingly share. You are my supply, my source. I look to You, daily, for what I need for the day.

I thank You for Your supply, which I receive with gratitude.                  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment