Tuesday 1 April 2014

Advance the gospel



Now I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel.                           Phil. 1.12


In whatever situation he finds himself it is clear that Paul lives the Christian gospel. His present context is from prison and here the message has been presented and received.

... it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ. (v13)

I am mindeful of reminders from the book of Acts of how Paul witnessed in situations as diverse as a difficult sea voyage (Acts 27.22-25) and with the family of a high official on a strange island (Acts 28.8,9). Paul was not deterred by circumstances that came upon him. Indeed, to the contrary, he utilised every opportunity to share his amazing faith (cf Acts 17.16-34).

Paul was a Christian. This means that he lived every moment of his life in his faith. He encourages us to do likewise: Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. (Phil. 1.27)

Again the question is: What of me? Am I responding to Paul’s plea, and conducting myself in a worthy manner, whatever happens? I want to. And I try to. But it doesn’t always work out. So what do I do? I keep going; I keep applying myself; I keep hoping; and I keep praying for His help.






Lord God,

I am a sinner and You and I both know this too well. I humbly ask Your forgiveness for my straying. Please restore me and lead me in the right paths. I want to conduct myself always in a manner worthy of You. Let me start afresh today. Show me Your way and lead me in it. May I sense Your constant presence with me, guiding and directing me in the way I should go. Strengthen me in Your Word, lead me into more opportunities to share it, and grow me in boldness to proclaim the gospel, in Jesus’ name I ask.                                             Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment