Monday 7 April 2014

Genuine



I have no one else like him, who takes a genuine interest in your welfare. For everyone looks out for his own interests, not those of Jesus Christ.                Phil. 2.20, 21


Paul hopes to send Timothy to the Philippians. He sees in Timothy a genuine interest in the well-being of others. Paul then makes a general statement about how people look to their own interests. Sadly, this is too often true.

The reminder that I should look to the interests of Jesus rather than my own brings to my mind a question that has been used recently as something of a catch cry in Christian circles, “What would Jesus do?” The intent, I think, is to use the question as a means of directing the individual to the right action, be it thought, word or deed. This is a useful tool, but I would add another to it, and again in the form of a question: “What would Jesus have me do?”

In imagining what Jesus would do, I might not always be able to see myself in His place. But the second question clearly positions me. I would still ask myself both questions. The first question elicits an answer that, indeed, opens me up to see and embrace the “attitude of Christ Jesus”. I desire to grow more Christlike, therefore it is important for me to understand how Jesus would react. Following this, the second question brings me firmly into whatever situation presents itself, and further connects me in deeper relationship with Jesus. I may never do exactly what Jesus would do. Yet if I ask the second question, and commit to implementing the answer to the best of my ability, then I may “prove myself”, as Paul is satisfied that Timothy has done.

Will I ever be all that it’s possible to be for God? I will not realise the sinless perfection of Jesus, but this should not deter me. If I give to the best I can, and allow God plenty of scope to work in and with me then I may be at ease with myself (that is, free of guilt or striving). The key is to give of my best, and I don’t always do this. A useful aid, surely, is to remind myself always with the question, “What would Jesus have me do?”




Lord Jesus,

I want to follow You. I want to be Your disciple, and learn from You. I want to know You, truly know You in deep, penetrating and intimate relationship as someone who not only follows You, but one who follows very close to You.

I want to follow You in being and doing like You. I marvel when I read of how You saw the crowds, and looked on them with compassion. I want to follow You in this. As I look upon people may I see them as You see them? Would You show me the miracle that You have placed in each human soul? When You looked on people, You were not content simply to see them with compassion. The pull of their predicament often moved You to minister to them in healing, deliverance, release or equipping. Dear Lord, may I follow You in this? I give myself to You. Work in me and with me by the power of Your Holy Spirit. I ask this in Your precious name.                                                                                                                              Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment