Friday 25 April 2014

A new creation



Neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything; what counts is a new creation.                                                                        Gal. 6.15


Paul is a new creation in Christ and this is the most significant thing to him.

The Galatians have possibly been bombarded with exhortations, maybe even threats that they need to be circumcised. Paul rejects this forcefully. He accuses those of the “circumcision party” of using the fact of circumcision as a means of avoiding being persecuted for the cross of Christ. He says: “May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world”. (v 14)

Paul had been separated from the world. He is a new creation in Christ. He does not need to hide behind the excuse of circumcision, though he could well do so if he chose. Rather, he chooses willingly to boast in the cross of Jesus and his story bears witness to the persecutions he endured (stoning, beatings, shipwrecks etc.).

What about me? Would I follow Paul and boldly stand up for the cross of Christ? Would I accept whatever persecution may arise as I stand in and for Him? I like to think so! To date I have not been seriously tested in this, Should I ever be tested, I pray God will strengthen, support and lead me through in His holy power.



Lord God,

I thank You for Paul and the lessons he continues to teach me. I can read of his sufferings for You, yet not fully comprehend what he went through. But his faith was unwavering.

I pray for such faith. If I am to experience testing, even persecution, in the name of Jesus, I ask You to strengthen me. Hold me up so that I may not disappoint You. Give me the very words to say and the loving gestures to enact. May I truly follow Jesus and stand strong and secure in the victory of the cross. I ask this in His precious name.              Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment