Tuesday 22 April 2014

Burned up?



To you, O LORD, I call,
for fire has devoured the open pastures
and flames have burned up all the tress of the field.
 
                  Joel 1.19


Joel is surrounded by desolation. Food has been cut off and there is no prospect of restitution. Seed is shrivelled and granaries broken down. Cattle moan and sheep suffer.

In this hopeless state Joel cries out to God. Many people have a similar experience. They turn to God only when everything else has been stripped from them. They are brought to a place of absolute, and desperate, need before they acknowledge the One who is needed before and above all else.

I am thankful that I was not brought to the depths of despair before God took hold of me. Certainly I have known relatively desperate times. But I have not lost everything as some have. God took hold of me at a most opportune time and, since that moment of reconciliation, He has drawn me closer to Him and led me further in Him. I thank God for His wonderful intervention in my life.

I pray for those who are to experience great loss before they turn to God.



Holy Father,

I remember with joy the time when You took hold of me and brought me into true and lasting relationship with You. I thank You for the journey that began all those years ago and that has proceeded – with its ups and downs – and has brought increasing revelation and release, love and contentment, passion and pleasure into my life. I give myself to the ongoing journey.

I pray also for those who haven’t had this same experience with You. I pray for the lost, the desolate and the desperate. I pray that You would show Yourself to them and make clear to them that they need You. So many of them think that they need nothing outside of the world they have chosen to live in. They are so removed from the truth.

I pray that You will touch them, gently but mightily, with Your truth and draw them into relationship. I pray for those who, right now, might be in the pit of despair. Their worlds might appear to be closing in on them. I pray for a supernatural revelation for them. May they see You, loving God, as the hope that stands against all hopelessness. May they be touched by Your eternal love. May they know that this gift costs nothing, save that they turn to You in full measure. I pray a mighty response from such people.

I thank You for the journey that I am on. I pray for similar experiences for many more people. I offer myself to be used by You to help others. May my path cross with those whom I can help. May I be used by You to spread the glorious news of the Kingdom of love wherever I go. I ask for these things in the mighty and loving name of Jesus.     Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment