Friday 4 April 2014

Ephphatha



... Jesus put his fingers into the man’s ears. Then he spit and touched the man’s tongue. He looked up to heaven and with a deep sigh said to him, “Ephphatha!” (which means “be opened!”) At this, the man’s ears were opened, his tongue was loosened and he began to speak plainly.                               Mark 7.33b - 35


With the single word “Ephphatha!” Jesus wrought healing. As He spoke out the words “Be opened!” the man’s ears were openend. Furthermore, his tongue was loosened and he started to speak clearly and plainly.

As I read of this physical healing, I am mindful of a spiritual parallel. I believe many “spiritual” ears are closed to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Many are shut off from hearing the story of the good news. They may hear something, but they are unable to respond: ... ever hearing but never understanding. (Mark 4.12)

Jesus said, “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him.” (John 6.44)
Here I see the dilemma, and the response. The Father draws to Himself, to His Son and to the Spirit. The work is His. He alone can open the eyes to see and the ears to hear. He can loosen the tongue to speak forth acceptance of Christ as Saviour and Lord.

This spiritual miracle has not yet been granted to everyone. Yet God’s Word reminds us that He does not want anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. (2 Peter 3.9)

This is God’s desire. Dare I encourage it?







Holy Father,

Eyes and ears need to be opened so that non-believers can see, hear and respond to You.

I cannot effect this but I know You can. I intercede and ask You to intervene with the miracle of Ephphatha. I cry out on behalf of all who do not yet walk with You. Some I know, many are unknown to me. For them all, I pray You will speak the words “Be opened” and lead them into sweet and lasting relationship with You.                                                         Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment