Thursday 10 April 2014

Zealous for good purpose



It is fine to be zealous, provided the purpose is good, and to be so always and not just when I am with you.                       Gal. 4.18


Paul is berating the Galatians for maybe being zealous over the wrong things. He has mentioned their observation of special days, months and seasons. But salvation does not come from such. God alone is the means of salvation. The combined work of Father, Son and Spirit is what saves us out of sin and leads us into eternal life.

God is my focus, and it is fine for me to be zealous for Him – at all times. I do not need to impress mortals as perhaps Paul hints that some Galatians might have sought to do. They were zealous in his presence but likely not showing any such enthusiasm when he is not with them.

I may remind myself that God is always present with me. I have His word for this. The knowledge of such gets me excited just thinking about it. Oh, may I always know zeal for God, may I be ever exuberant for Him.

He is real. I know His reality in my life. Let me live it and show it forth right now, today and every day.



Lord God,

I pray that I will never blow “hot and cold” for You. I love You and want that love to shine forth at all times. I wish for zeal for You to consume me.

But may this not be some separating or segregating experience. Let me demonstrate my zeal for You in the love I share with Your creation. May I reach out to those I meet as Jesus would. He looked upon people with compassion. I seek to do likewise.

I ask for wisdom. May I know Godly wisdom in my dealings with folk. If I minister, let me do so in complete harmony with You.

Yes, Lord, I want to be zealous for You, but I pray for a right balance between enthusiasm, energy, wisdom and love. I ask for these things in Jesus’ name.                      Amen.





Check out the book "God Talk" - at major online bookstores.

No comments:

Post a Comment