Saturday 29 March 2014

The same



Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus.                     Phil. 2.5


This bald statement by Paul is both challenging and exciting.

Jesus Himself said, “Follow me.” Apart from the obvious of pursuing Him and being part of His “group”, I see this invitation to also mean what Paul is talking about. For me, when Jesus
says, “Follow me”, He is inviting me to be and do as He is and does.

Paul proceeds to outline something of Christ’s attitude, and his focus here is on humility and obedience. His love for others brought about total self-sacrifice. He was Himself God, yet He set aside any divine power when He came to earth. He came as servant, first to His heavenly Father and then to the whole of humanity. I see in this servant both humility and dignity.  One might question where is the dignity in one who suffered such a humiliating demise and death? I have but to look at the manner of His suffering to see the dignity that He displayed.

This is just part of the attitude that Paul exhorts me to. Let me willingly embrace it and, perhaps, I can then, with God’s help, build further on it.






Holy God,

I look to You as Jesus did. The Holy Spirit conceived Jesus in Mary, anointed Him at His baptsim, walked with Him through His life, and miraculously resurrected Him after His death.

Jesus looked to the Father. He lived to do the Father’s will. He did nothing on His own but spoke just what the Father taught Him (John 8.28). He was pleasing to the Father in all that He did.

I am exhorted to “fix my eyes” on Jesus. I do so. I thus embrace the whole of the Triune Godhead. Lord God, Father, Son, and Spirit be with me; be in me. Impart to me that same attitude that Jesus had. Empower me with Your Spirit. Lead me fully in Your ways. Let me look to You in all things just as Jesus did, in whose name I ask this.                                  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment