Wednesday 5 March 2014

The one



The LORD Almighty is the one you are to regard as holy, he is the one you are to fear, he is the one you are to dread, and he will be a sanctuary.                    Isaiah 8.13 – 14a


Isaiah is foretelling of great trials for the Israelites. They will suffer persecution, exile and imprisonment. The Assyrians are going to appear to them as mighty and fearsome opponents. The Assyrians will terrorise them. They will have every reason to be extremely fearful of this mortal foe.

But God’s words through Isaiah tell the people that He is the one to be feared, rather than any human foe. Although it is not said directly in these words, God is more powerful than any human force. What He does say is softer and more encouraging than words of brute strength and sheer force. God reminds His people that He is holy and to be revered. He is certainly a dread figure inasmuch as His mighty power is to be fearfully respected, but his emphasis is on providing a sanctuary. It is as if He warns His people of the coming disaster yet, at the same time, encourages them to know that He is fully in control. What is outplayed is actually His divine plan, however bizarre that might seem. And, through all the agony and heartache, He is there – a sanctuary for His people, a place where they can find comfort, release, and peace.

The events unfolded as foretold. I wonder if, in the midst of anxiety, fear and the prospect of total loss and destruction, the people of God reminded themselves that this was all in His plan for them. Furthermore, He had graciously warned them of it beforehand. I seriously doubt if many gave the Lord God amicable and affirming thought at this terrible time.

And how does this translate to today? In Isaiah’s case, God clearly let His people know that He was in charge and events would unfold in the strictest accord with His will. I cannot say that what is happening in the world today is fully in accord with God’s will, but I will declare, positively, that I believe God to be ultimately in control. However, destructive and out-of-control humanity might appear, God will certainly have the final say. God’s desire is to save the world. We have His word that He desires none to perish.

He will have his way but sadly, like the Israelites, God’s people of today may have to experience heartache and destruction before the day of the Lord comes into full bloom.

I am confident. I will live in hope and be all that I possibly can be in Him whilst I continue on this earth. I will join with Isaiah and declare:

                        I will wait for the LORD,
                        who is hiding his face from the house of Jacob.
                        I will put my trust in him.       (Isaiah 8.17)






Lord God,

I know that You are ultimately in control. I thank You for this. It saddens me that the peoples of this earth have become quarrelsome, extremely selfish and self-seeking. Humanity is in destructive mode, and nothing is exempt. Fellow human beings and the whole of the created order are suffering. Indeed, the whole world is groaning in sin and transgression. I grieve, Lord, and I sense You too are grieving mightily.

I start with myself and ask You to help me be a better custodian of the life and values that You intend me to enjoy. Lead me please to be able to live well by the two commands of my Lord Jesus – to love you with all of my being, and to love my neighbour as myself. Let me also respect and preserve the whole of Your creation as I am able.

If I can influence others, I ask You for the enabling and for opportunities to do so. Show me Your ways. Teach me Your ways, dear Lord, that I might please You.

I love You deeply and I trust You fully. Sadly, I can trust no human to the absolute degree. But You are totally trustworthy and ever faithful. I come to You now in adoration and worship. I prostrate myself at Your feet and give myself into You.

You are the great I AM! I pray You will not hide Your face from me but let me know Your presence. Lead me in ways that will please You. My hope is that You will enjoy me. My aim is to enjoy the life that You have apportioned to me. Lead me in it, precious Lord, in Jesus’ Name I ask.                                                                                                                     Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment