Sunday 23 March 2014

Without



Do everything without complaining or arguing,                Phil. 2.14


Paul is talking about the believers working out their salvation with fear and trembling. He reminds them that God is at work, bringing them to a place where they will “will and act according to his good purpose”.

An NIV Study Bible note (p. 1806) comments on “complaining”, describing it as being discontented with God’s will thereby expressing unbelief which then prevents one from doing what pleases God. It references “arguing” to debatable points that do not need settling for the good of the church.

I see the point in this. If I am being refined, that is, my salvation is being worked out within me, and if God himself is the activator within me, then I truly need to dispense with complaint or argument. Rather, in allowing God to have His way in me, I ought to examine each occasion when I am tempted to complain or argue, and see what the cause of my distress or discomfort might be. If I can do this objectively I am then able to take further action, perhaps by releasing whatever to God, or maybe by inviting Him to do a further work in me.

I want to “work out” my salvation. If fear and trembling is to be part of the process then let me get on with it!






Father God,

My heart is to please You. I desire to be the very best I can be for You. I delight to know that You are at work in me. I give myself over to Your work of release and sanctification. Have Your way. If fear and trembling occur in my walk then I ask You to strengthen me. Give me also help to overcome complaint or argument. Show me the cause of such potential reaction and enable me to surrender such to You.

I am on a journey of sanctification. I invite You to lead me further today. I ask this in Jesus’ name.                                                                                                                             Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment