Saturday 8 March 2014

Sorrow



I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart.                  Rom. 9.2


Paul’s distress is on behalf of his people, the Jews. He tells us what their heritage is: adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the worship, and the promises; to them belong the patriarchs, and from them, according to the flesh, comes the Messiah, who is over all, God blessed forever. Amen. (vv 4, 5).

Paul is in turmoil because his people have this glorious inheritance yet they have completely missed the recognition of the Messiah in Jesus. Paul suffers great sorrow and unceasing anguish on behalf of his lost and mistaken people.

I can identify with Paul in this regard. I can only pray and ask God to change the hearts of his people such that they will turn and receive the Christ. I join with Paul in his sorrow and anguish but I also experience sorrow that my people choose to ignore Jesus. It grieves me that there are family members, friends and neighbours, whom I dearly love and who not only do not walk with Jesus but some of them positively and clearly reject all thought of Him. Knowing Jesus as Lord and Saviour, as Friend and constant companion, I feel deeply what these people are missing out on in this present time, not to mention the eternal destiny they might be condemning themselves to.

The action Paul employs in respect to the people he anguishes over is the most appropriate action for me to adopt in respect of those people who are precious to me. The very best I can do is to commit each and every one into God’s care. I can ask Him to draw them to Jesus, to turn them around towards Him, and to lead them, willingly, into salvation and eternal life.







Lord God,

I thank you for these timely words. I pray for the plight that Paul struggled with. I ask that You reach out to the Jews and show them the truth about Jesus. Draw them to You and open their eyes that they may see Jesus as Messiah and willingly accept Him.

I pray also and insistently for my own people. I pray for those family members, friends, and neighbours who don’t walk with You, and even consciously spurn and reject you. This grieves my heart. My desire is for them to come to You. Dear Lord, please hear my prayer. Let my plea come to You for their salvation. Please draw them to Jesus. Let them see the truth of the gospel of love and let them respond, freely and whole heartedly, to Your gift of salvation.

I release these people to You. I pray for Your action in this. May they experience life-changing encounters with Jesus. Will I live to see this? This is not important to me, Lord. I simply pray that You will do it. I ask this in the name of Jesus.                               Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment