Tuesday 11 March 2014

Mindset



Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.                                    Rom.8.5


There are two mindsets presented here, and a strong suggestion of choice. I am free to choose either one. I can choose to live according to the sinful nature, and my mindset will correspond with what that nature desires.

Alternatively I can choose to live in accordance with God’s Spirit. In this case, my mindset will align with what the Spirit desires. This, of course, is my choice. Yet, having made this choice, I am still tempted by the ways of the sinful nature. Does this mean I am basically undecided, or even double-minded? I don’t think so. I believe so long as evil has any sort of presence on this earth (and this I can expect to be so until the return of Christ in glory), then I can expect – and so can all sincere believers expect – the forces of evil to attempt to affect my mindset.

There is, however, considerable difference between attempts and success. Evil forces may try to deflect me from my way of life in the Spirit, but this does not mean they will succeed. I have a powerful, a most powerful, force working for me. This is the Holy Spirit Himself. The Spirit is God’s gift to me. His presence with me and in me comes by the will and anointing of God. I have received the Spirit, and the Spirit holds me, in trust, to God.

Does this mean when evil forces tempt, that I am to do nothing? Not at all! Adverse action, or even no action, might render me guilty of “blaspheming” the Holy Spirit. I most certainly don’t want to do this. Rather, I return to the Scripture, and remind myself that I have chosen to live in accordance with the Spirit. My mindset is in accord with what the Spirit desires and I must believe that the Spirit is with me. Furthermore, Jesus has promised me that the Spirit will guide me into all truth (John 16.13). But, again, I have a choice. I can choose to believe this or not. My choice, overwhelmingly, is to believe. I have absolutely no reason to disbelieve Jesus. He has said that the Holy Spirit will guide me into all truth. I have chosen the Holy Spirit way of life and my mindset is Holy Spirit based. Therefore, when the ways of the sinful nature intrude and tempt me, I turn to the Spirit. I know the Spirit will guide me. I have confidence in this. Even this edifies me and encourages me.

My confidence is not in me but in Him. I will get through; I will overcome because of who God is, and not because of who I am. He has chosen me. He has drawn me to Himself. He deigns to call me “Child”. And I respond. I respond with every part of my being. I am His. I look for His Spirit to fill me to overflowing, to establish my mindset and to guide me, always, with the truth. I determine to fix my eyes on Jesus, and to follow Him as He has invited me to. I nestle into the Father’s embrace. He is my strength and comfort. Yes, the way of the Spirit is my chosen way. Come, Holy Spirit, lead me on.





Lord God ,

I thank You for Your Holy Spirit. I thank You that You have blessed me with the gift of the Spirit. I choose to live in accordance with the Spirit. I ask for the fullness of a mindset in Your Spirit.

Come, Holy Spirit, indwell me. Consume me with holy presence and power. Guide me into all truth. Let me never give myself over to the sinful nature. I am God’s child. Jesus is my brother and I choose to follow Him. I give myself to this but I know I cannot follow through in my own strength. I need You. Lead me, Holy Spirit. May I walk in the ways that are pleasing to my Holy God. May I learn more of Jesus and, in the learning, get to know Him more, draw closer to Him, and walk constantly with Him.

Show me God’s way and lead me fully in it. I give myself to You today. Let us travel the day together. Use me as You will. Enjoy me if You will. I want You, and whatever You may have for me to do. I submit. I will be led by You. Hallelujah!

Precious Lord, I praise Your name.                                                                                 Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment