Saturday 2 November 2013

Train yourself



Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives tales; rather, train yourself to be godly.                                                      1  Tim. 4.7


What catches my attention in this verse is the brief, but arresting, phrase train yourself to be godly. It would be easy to say, “I’ll rest in God. I’ll just focus on Him and everything will be fine.” I do not deny the power that God can work as we rest in Him and I certainly look to live fully in His rest and enabling. But I am also aware that I have a further part to play. Self-discipline will assist me to train myself to be godly.         

Earlier, in 1 Timothy 2.2, Paul talks about us living peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. The NIV Study Bible (p. 1837) suggests this implies a good and holy life, with special emphasis on its source, a deep reverence for God. I can choose to follow this way. It requires a decision and some action from me.

I am reminded of the time when Jesus was tempted by Satan in the wilderness. Matthew and Luke both have longer accounts of this than Mark does. But, even then, the narrative is basically the bald dialogue between Jesus and Satan. We know nothing of Jesus’ thought process which, I suggest, may have been quite significant. If, as its name implies, this was a real temptation by Satan, then we can suppose that Jesus was really tempted. That is, He may well have considered Satan’s suggestions seriously and even got close to accepting. But then His self-discipline would have come into play. I think a certain tussle went on in Jesus’ mind before He countered Satan with God’s response. His struggle is certainly not likely to be of the same magnitude as I might face, yet I believe He had to wrestle with Satan and break through with a godly answer.

This supposition (for it is nothing more really) encourages me. I can be heartened and strengthened by my Saviour’s fight against the forces of evil. He exhorts me to follow Him. He clearly shows me the way. His whole life was spent in deep reverence for God and obedience to Him. May I truly follow Him!





Lord God,

I am a sinner and I know this full well. But I am a sinner who has been saved by the blood of Jesus. He has rescued me and restored me into relationship with the Father.

He encourages me to follow Him. I want to do this. I wish to be as like Him as is possible for a sinful mortal to be. I commit to the practice of self-discipline, to develop in me a deep and abiding reverence for You. I seek to live a good and holy life. Let me glean all I can from the wonderful example of the life of Jesus. I aim to apply His example to my own living. I seek Your assistance in this. I pray for greater insight into His words and His ways and I ask for Your Holy Spirit to guide me into all truth and godly living. I ask these things in Jesus’ Name.
                                                                                                                                           Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment