Sunday 17 November 2013

With you



Then Haggai, the LORD’s messenger, gave this message of the LORD to the people: “I am with you,” declares the LORD.                        Haggai 1.13


The remnant of Jews that had returned to Jerusalem from captivity in Babylon showed more concern for their own welfare than for rebuilding the temple, the powerful reminder of God’s presence with them.

But their self-focused efforts did not prosper them. God rebuked them:

“You have planted much, but have harvested little. You eat, but never have enough. You drink, but never have your fill. You put on clothes, but are not warm. You earn wages, only to put them in a purse with holes in it.” (Haggai 1.5, 6)

God challenged them to rebuild His house. The people responded to His call. Then He brought specific assurance that He was with them. He was pleased, and showed His pleasure to the people,

“From this day on I will bless you.” (Haggai 2.19)

I believe we can exercise choice in any and every situation. I also believe that when we think we have no choice it is just possible that the alternative is unacceptable to us. I choose God. I revel to hear Him say to me “I am with you.” I simply want to live in Him, to go forward directed by Him in all that I do, and to be shaped by Him in everything that I am.






Lord God,

You were with the Jews and You are with me. I know this, yet I yearn to hear You affirm it. I know I do not deserve You to be with me. I am so thankful that this does not depend on my deserving, but on Your grace, mercy and love.

I pray for You to be with me, more and more. I seek You in every living moment. My desire is to live fully in You. Receive me, Lord. Consume me such that I am impregnated through all of my being with You. I invite You to take me over, and make me wholly Yours. Make me who you want me to be. Lead me to do only what will please You. Dear Lord, may my life conform to Your full and perfect will, in Jesus’ Name I ask.                                                                 Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment