Wednesday 20 November 2013

Partnership



And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight.                        Phil. 1.9


Paul’s letter resonates with the partnership he enjoyed with the Philippians. His wonderful Christ hymn of chapter 2 exhorts them to live Christ-like as he himself tries to. Here the partnership extends to a threesome: Christ-Paul-the Philippians.

And this verse reminds me of partnership, although this might not be apparent from an initial reading. I see in it a facet of my partnership with God.

Paul’s prayer is for an increase in love, indeed, abounding more and more. He sees this coming through knowledge and depth of insight. This is my part. It is my application to learning. I am keenly aware of the shortfalls in my learning ability, but I can, and hopefully do, apply myself diligently to God’s Word.

Then God enters the partnership. For I see insight as God given. As I apply myself to the gaining of knowledge, God will work in partnership with me and lead me to a depth of insight in all that knowledge. I embrace this perspective. I would not be able to get any reasonable understanding without God’s help.

I certainly appreciate the partnership I have with Him.







Lord God,

I thank You for this reminder that we work in partnership. I recall all the valuable insights that you have brought to me through the years. I am ever grateful.

I pray for ongoing insights both in everyday life and in any specific ministry. You know my desire to be a faithful witness to Jesus. May I show this fully in my behaviour and may I encourage others to a place of their own true witness to Him.

I give myself afresh to our partnership. I look to be led by You, to be equipped by you, and to be loved by You.

I love You, Lord, and I ask You now to lead me into the fullness of the day. May we journey together in wonderful partnership. Hallelujah!                                                          Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment