Wednesday 30 October 2013

The good deposit



Guard the good deposit that was entrusted to you – guard it with the help of the Holy Spirit who lives in us.                                                 2 Tim. 1.14


When I received Jesus as my Saviour and declared Him to be my Lord, a deposit was given to me and placed within me. It was the good deposit of the Gospel. I know it because I responded to it. I believe this is the same for every true Christian. If we have genuinely received Jesus in salvation, we have the good deposit of the Gospel within us. And it is there to be shared. But it is also to be guarded zealously. I have received of the most wonderful gift in accepting Jesus. But the enemy is upset and will not be inactive in my life. My first responsibility, then, is to look to my ongoing walk of salvation. The gospel deposit is in me, but I must guard it and ensure its ongoing health and vitality.

I must guard it also to preserve the simple but powerful message that it is. I will be presented with opportunities to share my experience of the overwhelming love of God. Not only will I share it, I will be so placed as to invite others to participate, to receive for themselves the joyous and wonderful gift of life – a gift for all eternity, but one to be embraced and lived right now.

There is much guarding to do of what is already inside me and what I am able to share with others. I do not have to guard this alone. God’s Holy Spirit is there for me. He will aid me. He will strengthen me. He will even give me the very words to say. And this is where the “guarding”  looks outward. I am to guard not only what is inside me, but I am also to be protective of the deposit as I share it and impart it to others. In all of this the Holy Spirit is with me to direct and enable. I feel myself to be in a strong and wonderful partnership. It is joyful, exciting and rewarding. I look forward into the day ahead and wonder what opportunities my loving Father will bring to allow me to share His love and the wonderful good news of a new life with Jesus, a life lived to the fullest in the enabling power of the Holy Spirit. Oh, praise God for His unending love and great faithfulness.





Lord God,

I thank You first for the wonderful gift of salvation and new life that You have given to me. I do not take this lightly. I offer You my deep expressions of gratitude.

I thank You also for the opportunities You give me for sharing this gift. I thank You for each and every one, but I ask for more. I further ask for Your Holy Spirit to be with me and work in me such that I will not miss any opening. Would You honour me by allowing me to convey Your love to people? I believe You have spoken clearly to me and commissioned me to tell Your people that You love them. Lord, I need You in order to be able to do this. Be with me. O, may Your Holy Spirit inhabit every part of my being and move powerfully within me. I love You and I want to share that love with so many. Make me Your hands and feet, Your breath and life wherever I go. Lead me on, in Jesus’ Name I ask.                                    Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment